Friday, January 1, 2010

Taronga Zoo!!

It was an overcast 1st of the year yesterday, but not to worry it was perfect weather to go to the Taronga Zoo!! This was on my list of things to see while here in Sydney as many of the wildlife indigenous to Australia can be seen here.  I saw it all! The zoo is quite large with many different worlds to see.  My favorite by far was Wild Australia where I got to see the koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, platypus, and tazmanian devil. The wombat was sleeping underground so unfortunately I didn’t get a glimpse of him but there were plenty of other creatures that I had never heard of like the binturong who was curled up comfortably in his bed, the cassowary a huge blue headed ostrich looking bird, and the tapir which is a gigantic pig looking animal.


  To Wild Australia!


Koalas sleep a lot, but they're so cute! I got to pose with the wallaby!

In addition to Wild Australia there are other sections of the zoo like the Australian nightlife, Backyard to Bush, Wild Asia, Great Southern Oceans, Roar and Snore, the African Waterhole, and Reptile World.  There were different encounter times with the zoo keepers where you could meet animals up and personal and learn about them.  I was also able to see a flight bird show where I learned about the Wedgetail eagle, the Black-breasted buzzard, macaws and more.  It was entertaining, but also informative.  Australia is really a beautiful country with many unique and distinct wildlife.


Beautiful sunset on an aussie evening!

It was a lot of walking around and the weather was humid with the overcast weather, but at least it was not the typical hot hot Aussie summer day where lots of walking would have meant sweating and uncomfortable heat.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  It was the perfect way to start off the new years! 

1 comment:

  1. what a great pic with you and the wallaby!! they are so friendly!!!! i had to google a wombat. kinda weird looking animal. too bad for tazmanian devil being in the dark.

    ReplyDelete