Thursday, January 21, 2010

Muesli

One of the greatest breakfast and snack foods I've encountered since being in Australia is muesli!  It is a combination of rolled oats, fruit, and nuts.  I did a little bit of reading on Wiki about it and discovered that it was developed in the 1900s by a Swiss physician for patients in the hospital where fruits and vegetables were an important part of recovery.


 
You can mix many things into muesli and it is very easy to make on your own.  I chose to make a simple one after having tasted one with oats, wheat bran, raisins, dried apples, almonds, and a sweetness perhaps from honey or brown sugar.  My homemade one consists only of oats, raisins, and wheat bran, but it is delicious and I've been having it every morning for breakfast.  You can choose to eat it with milk or yogurt or plain.


My homemade muesli with wheat bran, raisins, and oats


Yum Yum!

I wonder why muesli isn't as popular in the States.  It's nutritious and delicious! I'll be making it for sure and sharing it with everyone back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment