Friday, January 8, 2010

A Walk!

I went on a hike today! They call hikes here walks actually so I went on a walk today!! It was one of the best walks I’ve ever been on and went around a place called Palm Beach.  Some family friends of mine took me on this wonderful excursion.  We went completely around the island in about a 2 hour hike.  The walk started out slowly and didn’t seem too difficult, but after we had left the flat beach and headed up a bit I was surprised to find that we were rock hopping huge sandstone boulders of all shapes and sizes along the coast.  It was low tide which made things very interesting as there were tidepools all around and we saw many living marine life.  I saw hermit crabs, a huge seaslug, crabs, fish, and more! It was a bit of a challenge figuring out which rocks to step on and I used all parts of my body to propel myself up and down and all over the rocks.  The sun was nice and toasty and with a bit of a breeze we had the perfect weather.


Beginning of our walk, not too hard.

 
Awesome tidepools everywhere because of the low tide

 
Our little shady hideout where we had lunch

We stopped to have lunch under the shade of a huge fallen stone.  Chicken salad sandwiches, Lindt’s chile chocolate, and some biscuits (what they call cookies) kept me well stocked for the final part of our walk.  We enjoyed the shade and even were able to see a pod of dolphins swim by.  Our break came to an end and we packed up and got ready to go.  As we were rock jumping, I was amazed at the sandstone cliffs and formations all around us.  There were carved out by the wind and the ocean and were just magnificent!! The two most challenging parts of our walk was a narrow goat’s path and a rocky path towards the end. 


Look at that! All the rocks behind is what we climbed all day!

 
Last part of the hike, end is the beach and a swim!

I was happy when we got to the end as we all got to jump into the ocean for a swim.  I haven’t been doing much physical activity since coming to Sydney, but this was definitely a getaway from the city and I loved it!
The day was not over though, my friends took me out to a pleasant little place called Cottage Point.  There we enjoyed drinks and some homemade baked good!  Perfect way to end a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment