Friday, April 30, 2010

3 Course Meal for $25 what???!

Sadly today is the last day for the Seattle Restaurant Week.  It was a 12 day long (April 18-29th) dining adventure for those who took advantage of the amazing $25 deal for a three course meal at some of Seattle's best restaurants.  Last night, my girlfriends and I decided to do exactly that and headed to the Capital Grille in downtown for a night out of fine dining!

Steak??

The ambiance of the restaurant was seemingly quiet from the outside, but as we sat down to dinner, it was noticeable harder to hear each other around the table.  The restaurant was crowded and busy even at 7:30 pm when we were seated.  A basket of fresh bread was served to us first in which a variety of choices were displayed. The basket included everything from flat bread, to rye, to bread with toasted cheese on top, and different rolls.  This was just enough to whet our appetite before our 3 course dinner came.  Some of us had difficult decisions to make as we stared at our menu.  Our appetizer selections included  a salad of field greens, tomatoes, and fresh herbs or clam chowder, main entree selection was filet mignon, porcini rubbed prime rib eye with 12 year old balsamic vinegar, or seared citrus glazed salmon and dessert selections were flourless chocolate expresso cake or passionfruit sorbet.  I must say, it was a tough call to make between the main course options, but our waiter recommended the mignon and I went with it along with the chowder as my first course and the expresso cake as my dessert.

Chowder

Filet mignon with side of creamed spinach

Flourless chocolate expresso cake

The chowder was not too thick which I like and as far as chowders go, it was a good one.  The filet mignon I had medium well done and it was cooked perfectly with a bit of pink in the middle.  It was tender and after about half I was full.  I don't usually eat beef and this cut was a bit overwhelming along with the side of creamed spinach.  It was a very rich entree. I think I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would because I've come to the conclusion that beef doesn't satisfy me as much as a good seafood dish.  The only reason I chose a beef dish was that this restaurant is a steakhouse and so of course I must order a steak.  The expresso cake was also very very rich, but had a good coffee flavor.

In all, although Capital Grille may have been a restaurant I would never have gone to if Seattle Restaurant Week was not going on, I think I would have been fine if I didn't ever try it.  It may be that I just don't enjoy steak as much, but the meal wise I did not enjoy as much as I thought I would.  I enjoyed the company more and that was the goal of the evening, to have a good time with the girls, so cheers to a good night!


Capital Grille
1301 Fourth Ave.
Seattle, WA 98101

No comments:

Post a Comment