Sunday, December 6, 2009

Home in the Islands

I flew back home to the islands this past Monday for a month long stay of work, but also fun and time with family. The weather hasn't been too nice, rainy and chilly, but the weekend started off fantastic Friday with sun and more sun today and hopefully tomorrow. I'll take the sun with the rain so long as there is no snow and ice which supposedly will be happening in Seattle next week. Stay safe all you Seattlelites!

On a warmer note, today hit the mid 70s.  My friend and I tossed our boards and towels in the car and headed off to the South side where we hit up a popular surf spot called Canoes.  Surf reports forecasted a nice 4-6 feet with low tide! Unusual to have during the winter as the waves usually are on the North side in the winter (there will be 40-50 ft waves this Monday!).  But there was a little bump nonetheless and we enjoyed it with lots of strong sets, white water, and fun! So much that we were out there for about two and a half hours. I can already feel the pain my body will be in tomorrow, but well worth it! 


last glimpse of the sun going down

Physical activity leads to food and off we went to a nearby popular local Korean plate lunch place called Gina's.  It's one of my favorite places one because the food is good and two because the people who work there know how to treat their customers well as friends.  Today I  ordered their chicken katsu and meat jun plate to take home for the family.  Their portions are generous with your choice of four sides along with your order.  Prices are reasonable for the amount of food you get.


Chicken Katsu plate
with double order of taegu and daikon
Meat Jun Plate
(thinly sliced beef dipped in egg batter and fried) with cabbage, taegu, daikon, and kim-chee

After dinner, my dad and I spent some quality time at Honolulu's annual tree lighting ceremony and parade held at city hall.  I had not been since I was a little girl and was glad to see the festivities.  It was crowded with many lights, music, food, and people, all getting into the Christmas spirit!




    Santa and Mrs.Claus Hawaiian style!
Mele Kalikimaka!!





 
Stay warm everybody and be safe. Sending you some aloha from the islands, Mele Kalikimaka!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sara - Happy holidays........ Gina's in the mall where Foodland Market City is, right? Good stuff......I grew up relatively close by. Good to know they are still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, you know where it is :) happy holidays to you as well!

    ReplyDelete