Saturday, December 12, 2009

Boots & Kimo's Homestyle Kitchen

Kailua is a side of the island I don't normally drive out to, but today a friend and I decided to wake up early and catch the sun as it rised over the waters.  Early mornings require some early breakfast and as we sat trying to decide of a place to go, I suddenly remembered a place I'd always heard about that had these famous pancakes with macademia nut pancake sauce.  We tried to remember the name of the restaurant, I remembered Kimo's and my friend remembered Boots, our trusty GPS told us Boots & Kimo's, not bad 2 heads equals one GPS.  Luckily it wasn't too far from the beach we were at and opened at 7 am which was perfect because I heard it gets crowded.



Their menu consists largely of breakfast items that are available all day, but they also have a lunch menu as well. After looking over everything we decided to go with the famous pancakes and try the fried rice omelette as well.


Famous macademia nut sauce with 3 pancakes


Fried rice omelette

The pancakes were light and fluffy with a sauce that had a hint of macademia nuts and a sweetness to it that we could not figure out, but it was quite tasty.  The omelette however was a big disappointment.  The fried rice was not very flavorful and contained bits and pieces of bacon with none of the local island flavors I was expecting.  What made it very unappealing though was the sliced cheese layered in the rice.  It was unappetizing and not worth the price paid for it.

The restaurant quickly filled up and there was even a line as we left.  I'm glad we got to try the famous pancakes, but Boot's and Kimos is a place I probably will not go back to for anything other than that.

Boots & Kimo's Homestyle Kitchen
151 Hekili St, Suite 150
Kailua, Oahu 96734

No comments:

Post a Comment