Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Barimundi and such...

I apologize, it has been a few days since I posted.  I have a lack of internet access right now so some of the things I am posting are a day or two behind, but nontheless they are getting posted.  My second day here in aussieland I went down to the famous Manly Beach to walk the boardwalk, check out the waves, and also eat some barimundi!! Now, what is barimundi you ask? Well, it is a type of white fish that is indigenous to Australia and I needed to try it!


Glimpse of Manly Beach, lots of surfing


The breaks came consistently and were pretty powerful


Grilled Barimundi with Chips and salad

The barimundi texture tasted a bit like mahi mahi and was quite firm but had it's own distinct flavor.  I enjoyed along with the tartar sauce on the top left of the plate which was unlike anything I've tasted in the states, very tasty, yum yum!

As for the surf, 2 days after I had visited Manly on a walk, I went down to try the surf and that is how I know the waves are pretty gnarly.  The tide was low as well which may have been one of the reasons it was breaking so hard on shore.  Literally I only had to walk out about 20-30 feet and I could catch a wave, but my feet still could touch shore as well.  This made it so that when a wave came you could get tossed and be hitting ground.  I was able to catch a few despite the tossing and turning which I'm proud about, but I think I prefer the surf at home to the one at Manly beach.  The water temperature was similar to the ones at home, maybe a touch bit cooler and the sand darker in color but just as soft. Tonite is new year's eve and I'm headed over to the harbour later on tonite!! New Years eve fireworks post to follow!


Crystal Seafood Restaurant
Manly Beach

3 comments:

  1. hey.. nice px of the surf. So cloudy compared to sunny HI. Can't wait to hear more..

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup that day it was cloudy but the day i surfed it wasnt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ho so nice!!! look at the wave rolling in!! ha! it looks very much surfable!!! but as you said the shallow is kinda scary! i wanna try!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete