Saturday, July 3, 2010

Chicken Curry

Growing up, my Indonesian born dad would make my family this great chicken curry.  I have yet to be able to replicate it, but recently I was over at my cousin's house and she made a version of it in her crock pot.   It was delicious! Since this past week was busy, I thought I'd experiment and try making it as well in my crock pot.

Dad's Chicken Curry
- 4 pieces of chicken thigh
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1-1/2 Tbsp curry powder
- 3 potatoes cubed
- 4 carrots cut
- 1 onion diced
- 3 pieces of ginger
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste

  • Peel and cut potatoes, carrots, and onion.  Place to the side. 
  • Wash chicken and out into bite size pieces.  Saute in pan for a browned edge.
  • Mix coconut milk, chicken broth, curry powder, and salt and pepper together.
  • Place vegetables in crock pot, along with ginger, and end with chicken on top.  Pour liquids over the top of chicken and mix everything together. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
  • Turn on crock pot and let cook for 6-7 hours.
 Everything ready to go!

Turn it on and lets see how it turns out!

As I left for work, I thought that there was perhaps maybe too much liquid in the pot.  There was one can of the coconut milk plus an additional cup of chicken broth.  I was thinking there may not be enough saltiness to the dish as the only extra salt besides the broth was from when I had sprinkled the chicken before searing.  I came home and discovered that yes, there was too much liquid and the sauce did not thicken as much as I wanted and yes, more salt was needed.  It didn't taste bad, but it didn't taste like my dad's chicken curry.  Oh well, I tried.  I think this dish may be better to do on the stove top so that I can adjust according to taste.  You live and you learn and that's the beauty of cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment