Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Yama's Fish Market

Back home in Hawaii nei! First thing to do after getting off the plane and dropping my things off at home is to go grab some local food. Couple of friends and I headed to Yama's Fish market down by Moiliili Park.  It was my first time there, but I had heard good things about it, particularly about their katsu ahi.

It was easy enough to find, but parking was a whole different story.  They have about 5 stalls and it is in a residential/business area so after driving around for 10 minutes I realized I could park at the park and walk over, problem solved! 

 Yama's Fish Market

Yama's apparently moved from their old location to this new one so the front of the store was nicely painted and there were two outside tables to eat from.  Inside, there was a local home feel to the place. Directly in front of you when you enter is a  large selection of fresh poke.  On the shelves there are goodies of local snacks as well as their fresh ahi patty bentos.  In the refrigerator case there are desserts, their varieties of haupia pie, li hing pineapple and mango, kalua pork, etc etc.  The people who work there are awesome and so friendly.

 Poke!!

Menu was extensive and they have daily specials of the day of which the ahi katsu was not a part of so I went with their grilled ahi instead. Delicious! Two big pieces of ahi, grilled to my preference of medium rare with mac salad and 2 scoops rice.  I got a dish of their li hing pineapple for dessert as well. 

 
Gigantic grilled Ahi with 2 scoop rice and mac salad is on the side in a container (not shown)

 
  Laulau, lomi salmon, poke, haupia, rice

 
Haupia topped brownie and the sweet potato pie

Ahi was tender and cooked medium rare the way I like it.  It came with a sort of pesto sauce that was a bit salty but with the rice the flavor evened out.  I didn't get a shot of the li hing pineapple, but let me just say that it was nice to taste li hing again! If you're ever in the Moiliili area and are hungry, Yama's is a good place to stop by for some grinds!

2332 Young Street
Honolulu, HI 96826
(808) 941-9994

No comments:

Post a Comment