Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Local Food Day

Tomorrow I fly back to the mainland so in light of that, today I ate at some of my favorite local food places: Helena's Hawaiian Food, Waiola Shave Ice, and Leonard's malasadas!!

Hawaiian food is best here at home and Helena's is one of the best. Today I had the kalua pig, lomi salmon, laulau, pipikaula, and haupia.  If you've been there before, you know it is a hole in the wall restaurant in Kalihi, across from Mitsu-ken and next door to Mitsuba, two other great local places.  Parking is limited so its best to get there early for lunch.  Everything is served on mismatched plates and family style and because it is a family owned business, everyone from the waiters to the tutu working at the register is friendly and welcoming.  Food is home cooked and did I mention, delicious!!

 
Helena's, love the comfy home feel

Let the eating begin!

 
Excellent pipukaula, haupia, and lomi salmon

Laulau, kalua pig, beef stew at the top

I had to get my favorite shave ice after lunch at the original Waiola's. Flavors today on the large cup were li hing and mango! This mom and pop store has been here for as long as I can remember and it's still the best!

Best shave ice ever with super fine ice!

 
Large li hing and mango and cannot forget da homemade musubi

Last stop, Leonard's for some fresh malasadas! Flavor of the month for the custard filled is lilikoi, YUM!

Got malasadas? 

 
Delicious sugarness

Two bites and I got to the lilikoi custard 

It was a wonderful day of eating local food.  Don't know when I'll be back again so today was an all out day of indulgence which I do not regret at all!

1240 North School Street
Honolulu, HI 96817-2013

(808) 845-8044

Waiola Shave Ice
2135 Waiola Ave corner of Paani Street
Honolulu, HI 96805
(808) 949-2269

Leonard's Bakery
933 Kapahulu Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808) 737-5591

2 comments: