Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fruit Tart

My first attempt at a fruit tart with my brand new tart pan! I'm also trying out a new recipe that I found off of allrecipes.  It had fantastic ratings and I'm hoping those ratings ring true when the taste test comes tonight.

White Chocolate Fruit Tart
Crust
- 3/4 c butter softened
-1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 c of flour
Filling
- 1 10 oz pack of white chocolate chips melted
- 1/4 c whipping cream
- 1 8 oz pack of cream cheese
- fresh berries (raspberries,  blackberries)
- 1 sliced kiwi
- canned mandarin oranges with juice
Glaze
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice 

In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour; mix well. Press into an ungreased 11-in. tart pan with removable bottom or 12-in. pizza pan with sides. Bake at 300 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack

For filling, in a small mixing bowl, beat melted chips and cream. Add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Spread over crust. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Drain mandarin oranges, reserving 1/2 cup juice; set juice aside. Arrange the berries, oranges, and kiwi over filling.

For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in lemon juice and reserved mandarin juice until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool; brush over fruit. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.  

Ingredients for the filling 


Glaze in progress


Glazed fruit tart!

The entire tart making process was not difficult, just time consuming.  The crust came out beautifully with a minor crack that I fixed by putting a thin layer of melted white chocolate.  As for the filling, it was the first time I've ever heard of using white chocolate as part of a base.  I melted the chips in my own makeshift double boiler which I then transferred into a bowl with my cream cheese and whipping cream.  I would suggest definitely using a mixer to get the creamy consistency.  The rest of the process was the fun fruit arranging and glazing of the tart.  I didn't have a brush for my glazing, so it was hard to get a consistent layer across the entire top, but regardless glazing got done.  

Tart making is not as hard as I thought it would be.  I definitely want to try more with different fillings and fruits as they start coming into season.  I think to prevent cracks from happening, I will fill a pie pan with dried beans or rice and place over the crust as it is cooking and I will be picking up a brush for glazing.  Perfection will come, but for now I am content with my first ever fruit tart! 

No comments:

Post a Comment